Thursday, March 02, 2006

It's like waiting for a bus....

You wait and wait and wait… and then two come.

Actually, this morning *three* came. But I digress.

It’s 2006, a World Cup year. Those are the great years for soccer. Not only do you get the actual cup, featuring 30 days of fabulous football feasting (I’d say soccer, but it’d kill the alliteration) but you also get the run up to the cup. So many friendlies to get ready! The build up to the cup is almost as good as the cup itself.

Last night’s friendly against Poland was the fifth of the year and it’s barely March! The games might not have the weight of a World Cup Qualifier, but there are still a lot more of them; not waiting two months to have two games in a week, we’re spreading them out and getting ready for the cup.

And then the cup itself comes! I don’t know about the rest of you, but I do have trouble watching a game when I know the final score. Not if it’s the USA (especially if we played well and/or won) but I can’t really be bothered to watch other matches when I know the score. Keeping up at the World Cup is a full time job…. And I’ve already got one of those. It’s just not possible to watch all 8 round of 16 games as they occur without hearing the score of most of them before you get a chance to see them. It’s a minor annoyance, though, one just has to prioritize which games you want to see. Especially if you’ve got a TiVo.

The withdrawal that I feel after the cup is the real danger though, and it taints my enjoyment of the event, because I know that afterwards the US will have a good long layoff and will probably be back without Bruce Arena. That and my current expectation that we’re going to go three and out. But that’s my pessimism coming through.

As for the Poland game itself, I’ll leave that topic for now, come back to it after I’ve watched the game for the second time—the first was largely interrupted at a bar where I showed up late and missed the beginning of the second half as well.

I do want to take a time out to say HELLO! to our 1000th visitor, hailing from the fine city of Swinefleet in Lincolnshire, England. Come back soon, dude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home