Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

So, it’s been quite a while since my last entry. As I stated, things at work have basically exploded and unfortunately my personal life is a big mess also, meaning that when I usually update (from work) and my backup (from home) have both been pretty well cut off.

I’m afraid that I lack the energy to tackle any of the three topics that I suggested in my last post, but getting the creative juices (not those, get your mind out of the gutter) flowing would probably do me some good.

The big and exciting news is that the US will be playing Scotland on Nov. 12th. I’m happy about this because it means more soccer to hopefully watch—It’ll be very aggravating if there’s no TV, though. I have been pulling further and further from Newcastle as the play becomes duller and the mood on the message boards continues to darken.

A while ago, Mig ad Du Nord called the EPL “The dullest league in the world” slightly tongue-in-cheek (playing off it constantly being called the most exciting.) I have to say that with all the press, and though I hate to admit that they’re right, it’s true that the English game has lost a lot of its luster (lustre) recently.

Although it’s not alone. I have been viewing a lot of tapes of old USA games recently in order to make compilation videos. Back when I was watching these games live in 1996, every moment was exciting. I watched a World Cup Qualifier between the US and Trinidad and Tobago from Richmond, VA. I watched this game a good 5 times at least. I still have the tape and can pull it out and find it more entertaining than so many matches since. It wasn’t a good game either; it was a dull game played in cold weather and a stiff wind. Chances were few as ground skills were at a premium. Russell Latapy vs. John Harkes. It shouldn’t be so much more exciting than Emre vs. Savage. But it is.

It’s a general ennui in my life, I think, that is epitomized by the loss of excitement in the game. The premiership was more exciting when there were fewer ‘good’ players in it. Back in ’96 when each team had only one or two 5 million pound players. Not now, when teams are paying out hundreds of millions of dollars every week in wages.


Everything just seems too polished and over-produced.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home