Thursday, February 23, 2006

On old tapes, old games and older players

So recently I bought a DVD component recorder. I have some old tapes that I have been wanting to put into a digital format so that I can save some storage space. (Okay, so I justified buying the thing by saying that I would use it for old family videos—but the soccer games come first.)

But ultimately, why do I want some of these games. Allegedly, I am going to use material from them for the videos that I do, like the Waldo’s Way or Joe-Max Warrior compilations that I did. But are some of these games actually going to be useful for that? Could I really use anything from the 2/3 of the USA vs. Saudi Arabia 0-3 loss in Riyadh from 1992? I kind of doubt that there’s much that I could use in that game, unless I suddenly wanted to do a video remembering Jean Harbor (who scored a goal which was called back in that game.) Or the USA’s 0-0 draw with El Salvador in St. Louis from World Cup Qualifying in 1989, bemoaned for being such a dull game.

So why record them at all? Why save these dull games onto DVDs when I haven’t even watched the tapes themselves since they were recorded? I think that partially it’s the work of a compulsive collector, and part of it is nostalgia.

Ask me who my favorite US national team players are, and I will still answer with John Harkes, Tab Ramos, Mike Sorber or Hugo Perez. Maybe even John Doyle. They’re my frame of reference. That squad; 1990-96 or so. All these players that Bruce Arena is capping now (save Kasey Keller) are young upstarts as far as I’m concerned.

I remember when Jovan Kirovsky was the great future star for the USA. I remember when Brian McBride was never going to cut it at the international level. I remember caps for Brian Quinn, Henry Gutierrez and Jimmy Banks. It’s one of those things where the games from that era are just more comforting. The US starting lineup SHOULD include John Harkes and Eric Wynalda. It’s comforting. It’s just what I am used to.

Nostalgia is an odd thing. The word itself, 'nostalgia' comes from the Greek 'nostos' meaning 'to return home.' I wonder if the comfort I take from these games is really hearkening back to being at home with my parents.

7 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

The old players did a lot to get the USMNT off the ground. They were the foundation of the team we have today. I look at those early games in much the same way I look at the bootlegs I made of shows at the 7th Street Entry or the Uptown Bar in the early 90's. They sound like crap, but I hold on to them for nostalgia. Zath, man, you're getting old.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am interested on having a copy of some of these old games. How can I get them?

12:53 PM  
Blogger Zathras said...

You could start by being unanonymous, and continue by emailing me: adslazaro at gmail dot com.

4:45 PM  
Blogger scaryice said...

The world needs compulsive collectors, or I wouldn't have been able to just download a 1982 video tape about beating home video games.

And we wouldn't be able to enjoy the Star Wars Holiday Special.

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to e-mail you. Is your e-mail address adslazaro@gmail.com

11:47 AM  
Blogger Zathras said...

Yes, please do not post a complete email address in the comments, however.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to see some of these old tapes as well.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home