Monday, October 03, 2005

The karmic ocean dries up and leaves no trace.

This weekend I went to a Live show. I've been really into Live since their first album, Mental Jewelry came out in the early 90s. They reached popular audiences with Throwing Copper which is a great album as in the whole thing; you want to listen to the whole thing, not just a couple of tracks. Same with Secret Samadhi. Their more recent stuff has been up and down, it takes a lot more to get out of it the same things I get out of their earlier stuff, but if you dig deep enough, it's still there.

But the concert was magnificent. Nice long sets, two encores and they even did "Iris" which they haven't done in 10 years or more (so Ed forgot the lyrics.) It was a really energetic show and the crowd was good too. I need to get to more concerts.

All Over You
Selling the Drama
The River
Mystery
They Stood Up for Love
Run Away
Love Shines
Operation Spirit
Lightning Crashes
Sophia
Lakini's Juice
Dolphin's Cry
I Alone
Show


Turn My Head
Run to the Water
Heaven


White Discussion
Shit Town
Iris
Dance With You


5 Comments:

Blogger kj said...

I can't even begin to describe how jealous I am.

It was at that new(ish) place in Maplewood, right? How is that?

7:15 AM  
Blogger Zathras said...

The venue was decent; sort of a glorified first avenue, in my opinion. Going out to the 'burbs though, I realized just how nice the smoking ban is in Mpls.

But my God that show was AWESOME. Wish I'd known you would have like to come; I couldn't find anyone to go, so I went on my own.

Hopefully they'll be back once the new album comes out in March.

7:20 AM  
Blogger kj said...

I was in (stand up if you hate) Milwaukee over the weekend, playing Australian football. Otherwise, I'd've totally been there.

New album in March? Excellent. I was very pleased with Birds of Pray, I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open for the new stuff.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Zathras said...

Too bad on being in Milwaukee. I missed them the last time they were in town and regretted it for years so this time I made damn sure I got to the show.

They played five songs off the new album Songs from Black Mountain at the concert and the first single, "The River" will be released in January. BoP was okay, nothing as good as Throwing Copper or Secret Samadhi, but not as bad as some people seem to say it is.

I can get you some bootlegs of the new stuff (and some acoustic versions etc. of old stuff) if you like.

8:57 AM  
Blogger kj said...

That would be fantastic, thank you muchly.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home