Tuesday, June 13, 2006

If you can't be there, watch with a superstar!

I could have gone to Germany. I could have been there in Geselkirchen watching the US national team get decimated by the Czechs.

I chose to get married instead. All in all, I’m reasonably certain that I made the right choice, especially as my fiancée and I are already saving up the money to go to South Africa together in 2010. Or at least we will be, as soon as we finish paying the bills for the wedding itself.

Left in the Twin Cities on my own recognizance’s, I decided to eschew the absolutely dreadful Billy’s On Grand (where the Thunder was organizing a watch party) and instead went to the Sweetwater to watch the game. As I pulled up to the parking lot, I was happy to see that the Miami team bus was still in the parking lot—the team was still at the hotel.

We settled in to an empty restaurant to watch the game, getting the large screen, high definition TV set up on ESPN2. Shortly thereafter, Fabian Sandoval entered the restaurant and took a seat in a booth near us. I asked where the rest of the team was and he indicated that they were still in bed. I was disappointed, but soon players began to stream down to the bar to watch the game as kickoff approached.

The man that we wanted to meet was not there, however. Romário de Souza Faria did not arrive at the bar during the match. However, as I went to the bathroom, I saw him in one of the conference rooms, where the team’s breakfast was being served. I waited around for him to exit but he was taking his time, apparently uninterested in the USA vs. Czech game.

After a while, he did exit the conference room and briefly sat at the other end of the restaurant, eschewing the small crowd of players and sprinkling of fans that were watching the big high definition screen, preferring a little more anonymity near a smaller screen.

I spoke with him very briefly and learned that he was indeed impressed with the level of play in the USL, and that he (unsurprisingly) felt that Brazil would win the World Cup. He didn’t seem all that interested in talking, more that he was passing by to watch only a bit of the game on his way back up to his room, so I didn’t want to keep him, but still despite the dreadful match on hand, watching it with a Golden Ball and World Player of the Year winner certainly added a thrill.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool Zath. I respect the fact that you talked to him but did not pester him. As it should be and the way I conduct myself in those situations also.

I was expecting Billy's to be a bust. The local was very cool as usual.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home