Thursday, September 08, 2005

USA vs. Guatemala, England vs. N. Ireland

So the US got a draw on the road in Guatemala last night. I was rushing out of the house after lying around with a bad headache for a couple of hours only to arrive at The Local to find that the Atlanta Braves vs. NY Mets game had gone to extra innings so we missed the first 30 minutes of the game. I wasn't bothered by the delay; you can't just cut off the end of the game. , though I was steamed by the fact that despite the fact that the hour after the game was NOT live action but pre-recorded stuff, they didn't delay the game but rather just started 30 minutes in.

Despite what basically everyone else is saying I thought that the game was decent. Everyone else said that it was dull, but I found the stalemate and sloppy play interesting. It gave us a chance to see the players deal with a slippery field and ball. I probably wouldn't have found the match as fun if I'd watched it at home but at the Local it was certainly more enjoyable than many another match I've seen.

I won't go into who helped and hurt themselves with their performance last night; that's always seemed to me to be pointless as I don't actually make any of those decisions. It's fun sometimes to try to predict the roster, but really, Bruce Arena doesn't read blogs or BigSoccer or anything else when considering his squads.
----------------------------------
On to the England vs. Northern Ireland game, and can I just take a moment to say "Ha" and "ha."

I am so sick of smug and arrogant English fans that despite the fact that I love watching the English team I was really quite pleased to see them lose. Sure, the USA only beat Grenada (ranked 149 to N. Ireland's 116) 3-2 but we did beat them. Despite a waterlogged pitch and a dubious penalty.

Also, it gives me an opportunity to give props to one of my aforementioned favorite players in Aaron Hughes who is the captain of Northern Ireland and did a magnidicent job in the center of the defense. His problem at Newcastle was always his versatility. He's best at center back, but rarely got to play there because he was servicable at RB or LB or even DM. Newcastle's loss and Aston Villa's gain I should say. Good on you, Wor Aaron, and I think I'm going to be looking for a Hughes Nor Iron shirt.
-------------------------
Regarding the nonsense with the Barra Brava and CSC security in DC, it looks as though that might have been resolved satisfactorily which makes me happy, but I still stand by my post about the USL.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tim Froh said...

About England: Agreed. I had a nice long laugh after I saw the result, and walked around work the rest of the day with a big, dopey grin on my face.

12:14 PM  
Blogger D said...

The nonsense with CSC/DCSEC and BB is not quite resolved, but hopefully it will be.

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home