Friday, September 02, 2005

Small fish, small pond

Today I was reflecting on the fact that the Thunder play in the USL-1 and we all dream of having an MLS franchise here. The more I think about it, the more I think I'm happy with the Thunder being where they are.

Seriously, although in the last couple of years the amount of 'local' talent has dwindled on the team, the squad has still shown tremendous commitment to the fans and making themselves available to the fans. I don't really think that this would be as possible in the MLS. Real Salt Lake have some 'meet the team' days set up, and those seem pretty neat, but I think that it is harder to do that sort of thing with 'major league' players. Staying after and letting all the fans on the field for autographs for example: how many MLS teams do this? I went to a Wizards game in 1998 and I remember going to a room for autographs, but less than half the squad was there and several of them clearly didn't want to be there.

Clearly, a large part of this is the squad selection by Buzz and the rest of the staff where they're looking as much at PR and Camp money as playing ability, but I am not so certain that will fly in MLS.

Then there's the subject of the DCs. I love our group. I love how we're utterly irreverent and will do whatever we want whilst still maintaining a good relationship with the FO. A lot of credit for this goes to the staff who do very well to put up with us, but it could so easily not be the case, and that seems to be the situation with most MLS clubs. Just look at what happened to the Barra Brava and CSC security in DC--they're talking boycott over there.

There's all kinds of stigma and such about 'big club/little club' especially in England where the 'big clubs' like to laugh a bit at the littler clubs who are more 'family oriented' and will never win the big prize. I'm perfectly happy with living as a small club so long as that means that the fun is real and not too glossed over and being careful not to tread on any toes. There's a great degree of freedom in supporting the Thunder which I love. How many Major League teams would let me run up and down the sideline with a flag after each goal? Not many.

With all this reflection, I don't know if I'll ever really support a Major League sport as much any more. I'm in love with the Minor league mentality and the minor league system. Bigger is not necessarily better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home