Thursday, September 01, 2005

Newcastle re-sign Solano, USA vs. Mexico

So the big Newcastle news in the last week was that we signed Michael Owen. I'm happy about that, but the thing that is sticking in my craw is that it's overshadowed two other transfers that are in my opinion far more interesting.

First, the sale of Jermaine Jenas to Tottenham. Don't Spurs have enough midfielders? Is Jol actually going to try the 1-8-1 formation? Jenas is most highly regarded by all the fans and managers across England except the Newcastle fans. I have a sneaky suspicion that this will turn into another Jon Dahl Tomasson situation where Newcastle sell a promising player who has stagnated on Tyneside and then he goes on to great things.

The other is that we have re-signed Nolberto Solano. This makes me very happy. Happier than the Owen signing perhaps. Nobby's sale was a sign to me that Robson was on his way out; he was sold for far, far too little money and he was never properly replaced. We may have lost him for a season and a half, but I'm glad he's back. Going the other way was Milner on loan. I hope that reuniting him with David O'Leary will be good for him and that he'll end up coming back to Newcastle United a better player having picked up playing time at Villa.

In other transfers this season, Newcastle sold probably my favorite player on the team: Aaron Hughes. Yeah, I know, maybe I'm crazy, but he was durable and could play anywhere across the back-four or in defensive midfield. He was also a product of the club's system and kept his head down off the field. He is the captain of his national team (even if it is Northern Ireland.) He was honestly my pick to replace Shearer as captain after Wor Al retired. Unfortunately, like another of my favorites before him, Steve Watson, he was sold to raise transfer funds.
---------
Back States-side, I've been looking forward to the USA vs. Mexico World Cup Qualifier this weekend. I fought tooth and nail to get three tickets for that match, and none of them are together. Tomorrow after work I will be leaving and driving down to Columbus. Here's where the philosophy comes in, as all I've been able to think of regarding the match this week is a quote from Arthur Schopenhauer.

"A man's delight in looking forward to and hoping for some particular satisfaction is a part of the pleasure flowing out of it, enjoyed in advance. But this is afterward deducted, for the more we look forward to anything the less we enjoy it when it comes."

Yeah, the man wasn't called the founder of the school of pessimistic philosophy for nothing.

I guess I just worry that all of the excitement is only going to result in disappointment if we lose or draw or if the trip doesn't go well.

The squad that Bruce Arena called in
looks good to me. I get sick of people who constantly criticize him for calling in players like Frankie Hejduk and Gregg Berhalter. These are the players that he has to work with. I agree that Hejduk and Berhalter aren't Roberto Carlos and Sol Campbell, but who would they want called in? Bobby Boswell? Yeah, there are up and coming future stars, but you can't throw them right in; they'll never live up to your hype and they'll never be able to shrug off that initial disappointment. Give them time. I have confidence in Bruce that he will call them when they're ready. He did an excellent job with Beasely and Donovan.
---------
The Minnesota Thunder sent forward Melvin Tarley to Real Salt Lake. I didn't get a chance to watch the game last night because I was getting my car tuned up for the trip to Ohio. I'm leaving it on this morning while I work, and perhaps I will post about his performance when the game is over.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home